Friday, September 5, 2008

there seems to never be enough time...

I am sitting in my apartment studying for my first mid-term in Chile. The structure of the test is really favourable. You can bring all materials and notes from the course to the test and if you are not happy with your score you may answer the test questions at home, hand them in one week later and the hand-in will represent 40% of you grade on the test (60% being covered by your actual testgrade). Therefore I am not that worried about it and rather let my studies float away in some unfocused surfing. Found this really interesting internet vision of the future when reading the latest report from trendwatching. How will the internet look like in 5000 days? Listen to internet guru Kevin Kelly's thoughts on this. I will not comment this right now but save it for my next comment in marketing class due in one week. This marketing course is getting to me, opening my eyes for the possibilities and potential the net, really interesting...

By the way, thank you everybody reading this blog and showing appreciation for it! I did not know there were that many readers, but several persons have approached me and commented on the blog which brings me great joy. Please continue doing so!

This time I wanted to take a break in my studies (and unfocused surfing) to write about how I always think I am short of time in my life. When living in Sweden I had a lot of things to do all the time, work and studies so it felt natural to be a bit stressed and sometimes barely have time to keep in touch with all friends. One would think that going on exchange and being abroad would give you much more sparetime. Before coming to Santiago I was picturing myself hanging around in cafés, reading books, watching movies, just killing time as it would be so chilled. Instead I am finding myself a little stressed as always. I don't seem to manage to have time to write e-mails and travelreports to all my friends back home in Sweden, and this is now, when 2 of my courses have not started yet!!! Sorry everybody back home that are wondering how I am doing, the reports, pictures and e-mails are on the way, I promise!

I don't know if any of my fellow exchange students or people reading this that have been on exchange recognize themselves in my situation. I don't know how time just manages to fly by and I get more and more guilt over not mailing and keeping everybody back home updated. I guess in my case efficiency comes with a time-constraint. I do actually have more spare time here than I had back home but I sleep more here in Santiago, spend more time checking out facebook and lack the same efficiency in arranging small things or just things like going to the gym... I also think not having the same routines and organization as back home makes it harder to organize my life. I remeber having the same feeling when me and my friend Jens were travelling for 5 months in South America. We had a very relaxed schedule and even so the e-mails and reports back home did not come that often as I would like them to come, giving me that same kind of stressed feeling. In that case we really had a lot of sparetime (only sparetime to be honest) but the lack of routines in your environment makes it harder to organize it.

The worst with becoming late with the reports is that for every day that goes by, the things you want to tell in that report increase almost exponentially (at least it feels in that way) so the barrier to overcome with that first report just grows and grows.

Anyway, need to get back to some studies now so I eventually, hopefully get time for those travelreports :). Not being that worried about the exam I rather look forward to the week-end. Party tonight and saturday, and on sunday its time for Chile - Brasil. Its gonna be such an experience watching that game live at Estadio Nacional and to see Brasil's best squad live, can't wait! Tonight there is a party organized by some committee at the school for exchange students and their friends. Can such a party ever turn out to be fun? I doubt it, my previous experiences are not that good and I know some other people going tonight also have their doubts. I will try to go to the party with an open mind but it is hard, I mean would I ever go to a party of this kind back home??? But maybe tonight is the night?

2 comments:

Yam said...

wow... even when i havent experience studying abroad, i recognize myself in this issue of writting travel reports-activities-feelings... when you are travelling... i remember that when i was travelling around south east asia for 6 months i was trying to get myself one hour everyday to write to my family and friends (of course everyone was sending one email to me and expecting an answer) but i was getting 10 or 15 a day!!!! so i realize that the best way of keep in touch was to write a general mail to everyone with personal comments to every friend and an email only for my family and closest friends... besides, as a part of some of your activities here i know what you are going through or experiencing but this blog is the way you feel or live the things here and it's like getting to know the other side of you that i can't see when partying around.... its awesone... and you are very funny and the way you write is entertaining (?) me a lot.... ANYWAY... ¡please don't stop the music ( ;) blog )...
see you!!!!!!!!

Laura R said...

Hello!!
hola hola, soy chilena, de la Universidad Católica, pero ahora estoy haciendo un intercambio en Italia, en Milano.
Me siento muy identificada con las cosas que escribes, con tus impresiones sobre las amistades en los intercambios, sobre el tiempo libre y las fiestas para extranjeros. Muy buen blog!!